Sort tasks by parent / task tree in Kanban view

Moderator: abstr

Djo

Sort tasks by parent / task tree in Kanban view

Post by Djo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:13 pm

Hi,

Maybe I've missed something, I would like to sort Kanban columns by the the task tree, but it apparently it's not possible?

For example, consider this task tree:
-Task 1 (todo)
--Task 1.1 (doing)
---Task 1.1.1 (doing)
---Task 1.1.2 (todo)
--Task 1.2 (todo)
---Task 1.2.1 (doing)
---Task 1.2.2 (todo)
-Task 2 (todo)
--Task 2.1 (doing)
---Task 2.1.1 (doing)
---Task 2.1.2 (doing)
--Task 2.2 (todo)
---Task 2.2.1 (todo)
---Task 2.2.2 (todo)

In Kanban by Status, sorted by the task tree, that would give:

In "todo" Column:
Task 1
Task 1.2
Task 1.2.2
Task 2
Task 2.2
Task 2.2.1
Task 2.2.2

In "doing" Column:
Task 1.1
Task 1.1.1
Task 1.2.1
Task 2.1
Task 2.1.1
Task 2.1.2

Thanks

abstr
Site Admin

Re: Sort tasks by parent / task tree in Kanban view

Post by abstr » Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:56 am

Try this:

1. Sort by 'Unsorted' - this is the same as sorting by 'Position'
2. Enable the Kanban preference 'Sort subtasks below their respective parent tasks'.

Djo

Post by Djo » Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks, I see now.

I had disabled this option "sort subtasks below their respective parent task" because I use the "Sort by" menu frequently to sort by priority or by status, or by other criteria (according to my needs and the "attribute to track" that I've chosen). When the option is ON, it has priority on the Sort by menu and I wanted to disable that.

I was expecting that we could sort by Parent (or path) directly from the Sort by menu too but it seems not possible, maybe because sort by Parent (or path) only is not possible (has no sens) alone, another sort criteria has to be specified necessarily in the Sort by menu ("unsorted" or anything else).

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:12 am

>> When the option is ON, it has priority on the Sort by menu and I wanted to disable that.

So you want to be able to switch between sorting like the tree and sorting like a 'flat list' but without having to set/unset that preference each time?

Perhaps sorting by 'path' would achieve this (not currently possible)...

No, that didn't work. But I have another plan...

Djo

Post by Djo » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:08 pm

I'm quite lost with the sorting options...

Could you explain what is "Sort by Path" in the List View? What is sort by "path" exactly?

I like the Task Tree to be sorted by "Unsorted", because it's the way I've ordered manually my tasks. I like to have a similar order in the Kanban (of course with the additional distribution per column and without the tree structure so in a flat view, like the List View unsorted, and without the parent tasks too).

So you replied:
1. Sort by 'Unsorted' - this is the same as sorting by 'Position'
2. Enable the Kanban preference 'Sort subtasks below their respective parent tasks'.
And yes, with that I have in Kanban the unsorted view of the List View I'm looking for.
But... What does sorting 'by Position' means? And why "unsorted" in Kanban has a different meaning that unsorted is Task Tree / List View? This is not simple...

And yes, you understood right, that would be nice to be able to switch between the sort orders ("unsorted" in the meaning of the Tree View, by priority, by status, etc.) without having to go in the Kanban options, but only with the Sort by menu.

And, again in Kanban, the Sort By > Multi Sort could be very interesting if it could be enabled...

abstr wrote:I have another plan...
I like reading that ;-)

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:37 am

>> Could you explain what is "Sort by Path" in the List View?

A task's "Path" is the joining together of all its parents' names, each separate by a '\'.

ie. It has essentially the same meaning as the absolute folder location of a regular file on your hard-drive.

So 'Sorting by Path' just means performing an alphabetic sort on these values.

>> What does sorting 'by Position' means?

A task's "Position" is similar in concept to its 'Path' except that it uses the task's numerical ('unsorted') position within its parent instead of its name.

Try turning on 'Position' in 'View > Task Attribute Visibility' and you'll see what I mean.

So, sorting by 'Position' is very nearly the same as 'Unsorted' except that it can be both 'ascending' and 'descending' by alternately clicking the column header, whilst 'Unsorted' cannot.

The reason that there is both 'Position' and 'Unsorted' is because 'Position' is only available when the column is visible whilst 'Unsorted' must always be available.

>>I have another plan...

So my new plan is that when you select 'Unsorted' from the 'Sort' menu the Kanban view will actually sort by 'Position' which is equivalent to 'Unsorted' and it should be transparent to the user.

If the fix is as simple as I hope, then I may also treat this as a bug fix because 'Unsorted' in the plugin views should always mean the same as 'Unsorted' in the Task Tree, as it does already in the 'List View', 'Gantt Chart', and 'Workflow' views.

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:39 am

Fixed in 8.0.19

Djo

Post by Djo » Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:23 am

Thanks! (and for the explanation too)

There is a problem with the fix:
To reproduce:
Open the attached tasklist
In Kanban Preferences: display the Priority attribute, and uncheck "Sort subtasks below their respective parent task".
Kanban by Status
Sort by > Priority
Sort by > Priority again
--> the sort can't be inverted.
Attachments
untitled1.tdl
(8.54 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:35 am

Fixed in 8.0.19.1 and 8.1.DP6