Should null subtask dates be set when their recurring parent task is marked completed?

Moderator: abstr

abstr
Site Admin

Re: Should null subtask dates be set when their recurring parent task is marked completed?

Post by abstr » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:26 am

Fixed in 8.0.20.

Fixed in 8.1.DP7 AND you also no longer get asked whether or not to complete subtasks.

Ryan

Re: Should null subtask dates be set when their recurring parent task is marked completed?

Post by Ryan » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:57 am

Awesome! Thanks Dan!

I took them both for a test drive and here is what I observed:

1. Null subtask dates are now not automatically assigned values upon completion of their parents. GREAT! 👍🏼

2. I did not observe any crashes so far with 8.1.DP7 as I had reported with 8.1.DP6. GREAT! 👍🏼

3. In 8.1.DP7, can you explain why you removed the dialog notifying of uncompleted subtasks and asking if you want to mark them complete for subtasks with parents that are recurring? Not sure I like that. In general I want some kind of warning if I am doing anything to a task that will affect any of its subtasks unless there is a reason why I should not... and I can't think of any cases where I would not. In many views you can't see the subtasks so they can be inadvertently changed when you are not notified or aware of it. That can lead to big problems.

I can kind of guess why you might have done it. Maybe because you can't see why you would NOT want to mark subtasks (with dates) with a recurring parent task completed if you are marking the parent completed? That's a fair point. But even then, I would like to see the dialog to serve as a warning and give me an option not to complete the operation. Again, it can be confusing if you are looking at a parent task in say the Calendar view and not even realize it could have dozens of subtasks that are going to be altered if you do certain things to it. I would like to always be warned and have an opportunity to cancel when changing something about a task will also make changes in subtasks.

So I THINK I would prefer to to keep that dialog unless there is a reason I am not aware of.

BTW... that includes deleting a parent task! Should always be warned that it has subtasks and they will also be deleted (which I believe you already have implemented because it already saved my butt at least once!). 😁

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:45 am

In 8.1.DP7, can you explain why you removed the dialog notifying of uncompleted subtasks and asking if you want to mark them complete for subtasks with parents that are recurring
Completing the subtasks of a recurring task serves no purpose because the act of reusing a recurring task immediately resets all the subtasks to 'incomplete'.

The exceptions are when any of the subtasks are themselves recurring OR the recurring task is not being reused (ie. a new task is being recreated).

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:14 pm

abstr wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:45 am
Completing the subtasks of a recurring task serves no purpose because the act of reusing a recurring task immediately resets all the subtasks to 'incomplete'.
Why does reusing the recurring parent task have to reset its subtasks to incomplete?

Why isn't there the same option to not have the subtasks reset as there is when the parent task is not recurring?

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:47 am

Give me a specific use-case where reusing a recurring task and not resetting the subtasks to incomplete makes sense...

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:11 am

abstr wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:47 am
Give me a specific use-case where reusing a recurring task and not resetting the subtasks to incomplete makes sense...
How did I know you were going to ask me that? 🙂

Suppose you have a recurring task with subtasks that you review monthly. You don't necessarily have to perform all of its subtasks each month, it depends in part on when they were last completed. The subtasks are not periodic, some random months you have to do them, other months you don't. So you can't make them recurring tasks. Whether or not they need to be completed in a given month is based on factors that vary each month including when they were last completed. It requires manual review. So every month you need to know their last completion date to use as a factor to decide if they need to be completed or not at the current recurrence of their parent.

In month 1 you mark some of the tasks complete and want to preserve the completion dates to view them in subsequent recurring months of the parent to see if that task should be performed again or not. You may also want to review other dates associated with that subtask in a previous recurrence of its parents task. So you want to preserve those too.

I have some tasks like this. Example: some maintenance work I do on my home. ... Do I change that air filter this month or not? I need to inspect it. When was it last changed? When was it marked due for a change? ... Although I review the task and its subtasks periodically, I don't necessarily have to perform each of its subtasks on each recurrence of the parent task. But I need to preserve their completion dates and other values to help me decide which ones to do. I don't want any of their dates to be incremented or for their completion dates to be reset (however I DEFINITELY do want that option because that is a spectacular feature that I use on some other tasks! And I mean SPECTACULAR!).

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:22 am

I think this is actually an entirely separate issue, because you are not talking about the option to complete the subtasks or not, you are talking about a new option which would allow you to reset the subtasks or not.

So you need to move this to a separate post and then I will clean up this thread.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:02 am

Thanks for replying Dan. Sure... be glad to post this separately. But so that I understand exactly what to do can you define what "resetting the subtasks" means?

Does it mean advancing the Start & Due Dates AND clearing the Completed Date of the subitems? So in other words you are asking me to separately post a suggestion to provide an option NOT to do any of those things?

Is there anything else involved in a "reset?" Or does it just involve those three fields.

Thanks again.

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:56 am

Does it mean advancing the Start & Due Dates AND clearing the Completed Date of the subitems?
1. Start/Due dates are offset
2. Completion date is cleared
3. Percentage completion is set to zero
4. Time Spent is set to zero
5. Status is set to the user's default
So in other words you are asking me to separately post a suggestion to provide an option NOT to do any of those things?
I'm saying that what you are asking for is different from the original issue which I fixed and is now signed off. So if you want to discuss it further you'll need to do so in a separate post.

BTW it's very unlikely that I will be making further changes in the near future because I'm happy that the current approach will meet the vast majority of users' needs.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:17 pm

Okay thank you for explaining. I understand now.

I don't think I really want any change in this. I like this feature too. I think what I am really looking for is a way to always be notified before subtasks are altered when changing a parent and an option not to change them. Otherwise you can cause changes that do things you don't want to do and not even be aware of it. I'll think it through some more and create a separate suggestion.

Thanks again.