Data Loss when applying attribute visibility to unloaded task list

Moderator: abstr

fitnerd

Data Loss when applying attribute visibility to unloaded task list

Post by fitnerd » Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:27 am

Hello Dan!

I am using TDL 8.0.20.0.

Upon loading the unloaded (but opened) tasklist I discovered it to be empty. this should definitely not be the case. Fortunately I had daily backups, so I could back to figure out what happened. Sure enough 2 days prior to that the tasklist had like a few hundred tasks.

So then I examined my other logs and remembered that 2 days ago the only thing I changed in that TDL instance was I enabled showing of Date Created attribute and applied it to all task list (via attribute visibility dialog). At that point some tasklists were loaded and some were not loaded. After this I did not notice anything strange and continued working, and only 2 days later I discovered that this act removed all tasks from the tasklists that have been in an unloaded state.

Upon more research I discovered that the same thing happened 10 days ago. After I changed visibility of attributes for all tasklists - those unloaded tasklists were cleaned (all tasks gone).

I should mention that I do use the -z command line switch as I prefer to store visibility states with each task list.

Hopefully this can be addressed ASAP as it can lead to data loss in such a way that you do not immediately notice it. Worse - with some rarely used task lists this can lead you into thinking that they were in fact empty (all tasks archived or deleted), when in fact it was simply stripped of all the tasks due to this attribute visibility change.

Djo

Re: Data Loss when applying attribute visibility to unloaded task list

Post by Djo » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:00 am

I've reproduced the bug too as fitnerd described it

1) Todolist is started with the -z option
2) "Enable delayed loading of tasklists" is cheched in TDL Preferences
3) In Attribute Visibility, check the Column Visibily for an attribute, and Apply changes to "All tasklists"

-> unloaded tasklists become empty

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Sun May 09, 2021 2:29 am

Thx Djo.

However, there appears to be a missing step which is to perform a 'Save All' after making the visibility changes. Can you confirm this?

My solution will be to NOT mark 'delay loaded' task lists as 'modified' after updating their visibility settings so that a 'Save All' ignores them...

Unfortunately this will have the effective consequence of not applying the visibility settings to delay loaded tasklists in 8.0, which I will look at more in 8.1.

Djo

Post by Djo » Sun May 09, 2021 9:02 am

abstr wrote: there appears to be a missing step which is to perform a 'Save All' after making the visibility changes. Can you confirm this?
Hi Dan!
Yes, sorry, I've omitted this, "Save all" as the last step.

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Fri May 21, 2021 3:00 am

Fixed in 8.0.21