How can I work with .tdl files on Android devices?

Everything related to the 'Tdl Todo List' Android App

Moderator: abstr

barvetal

How can I work with .tdl files on Android devices?

Post by barvetal » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:40 am

Hello,

I would like to have capability to work with my todo lists on Android devices.

I used to work with it using TDL ToDoList by ajiget (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t&hl=en_US). To make synchronization between my PCs and Android device, I used file synchronization by DropBox.

But since the last changes in the desktop app, I can't sync back changes from mobile app. After changes made in mobile app, the desktop app can't read the file modified by the mobile app.

How can I use now todo lists on Android devices?

Thank you
=============================================
UPDATE ABOUT THE FIX (from Didi later in this post):
I tried comparing the xml files before and after changed by the android app, and see if I could make them again readable for the windows version. with a test file, created under windows, edited in android by adding one task and a subtask. Even after replacing the header (<tasklist>) with the original, and adding at the end <STATUS/>, <ALLOCATEDBY/> and <VERSION/>, which had gone missing somehow, it wouldn't work. After deleting the additional task (not the subtask), it worked!
I tried my original file where I only had added a task, but it didn't work :((( I also tried with just a (set of) task(s) but to no avail...

UPDATE: I created a new file on my PC, and copied just the tasks from my "broken" tdl file into this, and it works!!! Thanks be to God. And for now the android app just in read-only.
Last edited by barvetal on Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

didi

Re: How can I work with .tdl files on Android devices?

Post by didi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:39 pm

Hello,

I'm new to ToDoList, from yesterday! But I'm very happy with it. Finally a free software that has all the features I need for organizing myself and then some! Thank you!

I also tried to sync my Win 10 PC version with my LG G8 Android phone. I'm "glad" to see I'm not the only one, it would seem, with this problem.
A little background: I finally managed to sync my PC file via Google Drive and the MetaCtrl DriveSync app. If the ToDoList App would natively support opening .tdl files it would have been easier I think, I could have just set the Google Drive app to make the file offline available and then put it on my homescreen. But only in Total Comander could I use TDL as an app to open the tdl file. Android didn't allow for this...
When I finally was able to open and edit the file on my phone, and sync it back so it would also be on my PC, TDL there (under Win10) would tell me that it couldn't read the file, the XML was malformed...
Back to the phone and save it in Win-1252 format, sync it, and it worked! Great!
That was yesterday. Today I changed something in the file on my phone, synced it, but now, whatever I do (all the formats, installed microsoft xml parser MSXML 3.0, as mentioned in another post), the windows version won't open it... And I didn't make any backup, so now I only have it on my phone... Which is not very practical... I'm not familiar with XML, so I don't know what is "wrong", or how could I fix this...

Please any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Have a nice day!

didi

Post by didi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:11 pm

Dear support,

I'd like to add something to this post.
To begin with: I just started using TDL (yesterday), and I'm very happy! Finally a free(!) software with all the features I need, and then some! Great work, thank you so much!

I also encountered the problem that editing synced files with the android app "breaks" them. I use Google Drive and the MetaCtrl DriveSync app, because, at least as it seems to me, the suggested Total Comander plugin doesn't actually sync anything, and I need to go to the file everytime... At least TC is capable of associating tdl files with the TDL app, which (at least on my LG G8 plus) the system doesn't... Otherwise making the file in Google Drive offline available and placing it on the homescreen would have been enough and far less hassle... Is there any way to fix this, perhaps some adjustments in the Androidmanifest.XML?

But the fact is that editing a file on Android and syncing it back and opening it then on the PC, leaves me with the message that the XML is "malformed" and cannot be opened... And I didn't make any backups unfortunately, silly me... I also tried installing "microsoft xml parser MSXML 3.0" as suggested in another post, but to no avail. And I'm not familiar with XML to fix this myself...
If there is a work around, suggestion... hopefully with a recovery of the files, so I don't have to enter all my tasks again into TDL windows...

Thanks you very much in advance!
Looking forward to hearing from you

didi

Post by didi » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:31 am

A quick update:
I tried comparing the xml files before and after changed by the android app, and see if I could make them again readable for the windows version. with a test file, created under windows, edited in android by adding one task and a subtask. Even after replacing the header (<tasklist>) with the original, and adding at the end <STATUS/>, <ALLOCATEDBY/> and <VERSION/>, which had gone missing somehow, it wouldn't work. After deleting the additional task (not the subtask), it worked!
I tried my original file where I only had added a task, but it didn't work :((( I also tried with just a (set of) task(s) but to no avail...

UPDATE: I created a new file on my PC, and copied just the tasks from my "broken" tdl file into this, and it works!!! Thanks be to God. And for now the android app just in read-only.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:40 am

Hi didi

Unfortunately the Android app was a 3rd party port that folded some time ago.

However, I'm very glad you have managed to make some progress even if it means using the Android app in read-only mode.

Could you possibly edit your original post to include a summary at the top of what works (and what doesn't as far as you could tell)? Then I can direct any new queries to your post.

I might see if I can get a fork of the original source code in case anyone wants to have a go at fixing it...

Ben54

Post by Ben54 » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:46 am

Hi Dan,

I'm using this 3rd party app, with my Blackberry v10.3.3 and Smb -checked and updated- and it's very efficient to read and write and sync with PC -only few highlights: scroll back to check, time zone based on Gtm+2, attributes to save.

I think the encoding of this phone is stright compatible with ToDoList, and using an old but very helpfull keyboard spell check and prediction!

Thanks a lot, Best, B.

barvetal

Post by barvetal » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:40 am

I've moved information about how didi fixed the issue to the top of this thread, in the initial message, created by me.

Hope this problem will be fixed, as it's really important to have the ability work with taskslists while you are not near the PC...

didi

Post by didi » Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:47 pm

Hello everyone,

my excuses for not replying earlier and posting a summary as was asked, but I see that's already solved. I didn't receive an email notification of the new posts, I must check my settings, I thought I had activated that, and therefor I thought there hasn't been any reaction yet, ...

I also hadn't realised that the Android app is developed by somebody else. I sent them an email with the link to our discussion here. This is what I got for an answer today (good news!):

Thanks for the report! I had already read it, and the fix for the crash is being tested right now. I'm hoping to have it published this week. There was a change in the desktop file format that I was unaware of. Otherwise, I've tried to make it so that my app will still try and read the file and keep attributes that was added in the desktop program.

As for your other issue, it used to be the way that the system would recognize the tdl files as ToDoList files. Google must have changed how this work, so what I have in my manifest file, no longer works. I need to investigate a little further for that to be fixed.

Thanks,

Heidi

So barvetal, hopefully soon we'll have a solution for our problem(s) and will be able to work with our TDL lists on our Android devices! Yay!

Have a nice day and a blessed weekend!

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:36 am

That's great news!

ajige

Post by ajige » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:41 pm

Hi,

The update with the fix is now in they Play store. I have not heard any responses back from testing, so please let me know if this doesn't work.
I'm sorry it took so long.
As for opening the files/lists, I'm not sure I understand what the problem is, but you should be able to open the file from within the Android app if you use the file browser to point to the directory where the file is located. Please email me if you have problems. The instructions are not the best.