Malware (cookies)

For when your anti-virus software pops up an alert related to this software

Moderator: abstr

Magbears

Malware (cookies)

Post by Magbears » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:46 am

I downloaded the new version and found that it triggered the anti virus on our network. The diagnostics showed it being associated with a cookie, made from my login and suffixed with mail.ru.
I don't know why it was there but there is no way I'm going to be able to use v8 if its bundled with malware.

abstr
Site Admin

Re: Malware (cookies)

Post by abstr » Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:21 am

>> no way I'm going to be able to use v8 if its bundled with malware.

That's a strong baseless accusation to make. Sorry to see you go.

Magbears

Post by Magbears » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:58 am

I never accused anyone. I have been using ToDoList religiously as the 7.2 version and I think what you are doing is life saving for someone with a chaotic brain, like me. I don't think that you have any desire to infect my pc; there are surely multiple ways for malware to get into the zip file?

If I came across as accusatory I apologise, however I don't understand calling my post 'baseless'. Two times the software triggered a very specific effect in Symantec - WS. REPUTATION. 1.
I read previous comments about antivirus heuristics being a bit dumb so i shrugged it off, but a routine system clean showed a cookie going to mail.ru.

I'm reporting this because I want to help and so that when v8 is released stably I can feel safe using it.

noop

Post by noop » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:27 am

Magbears wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:58 am
I never accused anyone. I have been using ToDoList religiously as the 7.2 version and I think what you are doing is life saving for someone with a chaotic brain, like me. I don't think that you have any desire to infect my pc; there are surely multiple ways for malware to get into the zip file?

If I came across as accusatory I apologise, however I don't understand calling my post 'baseless'. Two times the software triggered a very specific effect in Symantec - WS. REPUTATION. 1.
I read previous comments about antivirus heuristics being a bit dumb so i shrugged it off, but a routine system clean showed a cookie going to mail.ru.

I'm reporting this because I want to help and so that when v8 is released stably I can feel safe using it.
Would you be able to provide more information? Uploading the file that has triggered your antivirus to the http://virustotal.com and providing the link here would do.

If you still have the ToDoList installer, I suggest you upload it to VT as well and paste the hash here.