Copying from Filter

How-to's and other software related queries

Moderator: abstr

didi

Copying from Filter

Post by didi » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:38 am

Hello there,

I was trying out something new today, and it didn't work quite as I wanted/expected, and haven't found a way yet to do it, doing a quick search on this forum and the manual. Hopefully someone can tell me how this could be done (or else, it might be a feature).
I have a "Todo today" filter made in the Find Tasks module. Today I wanted to copy just those tasks that are then shown into a new separate list. But when I selectd and copied those tasks that were shown, and then pasted them into a new file, everything that is also all the non-visible (sub)tasks were also copied - not just my "selection" by filter.
My question is thus: is there a way to copy just those tasks that are shown in the filtered list, without the rest coming along?
I noticed that even though all tasks (even completed ones) are copied, in the new list those other tasks are not selected, only the ones, one had selected. If there was a "invert selection" option, I could do that and then delete the other tasks, and have my result (not directly, but at least... could be a UDL perhaps). But for as much as I can see, that option doesn't exist yet, right?

So if there is a way of doing this, that I haven't seen yet, something I'm doing wrong, please let me know!
Else, I'd love to see either or both features included, i.e. "invert current selection", and ability to copy just those tasks that are shown in current filter.

Thank you very much in advance

Djo

Re: Copying from Filter

Post by Djo » Sat May 01, 2021 6:34 am

Hi,

I've tried too and you're right, the subtasks are always copied in the clipboard with the parent tasks, even when the parent tasks are filtered and only selected. I was thinking this would not be the case in the list view (= flat view) at least, but it is.

The current behavior seems not really appropriate from my point of you. Perhaps there is something obvious that we are missing here.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun May 02, 2021 1:44 am

Have you tried the Tools>Export Tasks dialog (which can export tasks and their attributes to a .tdl file)?

It has a “Task Selection” tab on it that has an option for “Filtered Tasks.”

(also has checkboxes for “Completed tasks” and “Uncompleted tasks”)

Maybe you can play with that and Tools>Import Tasks as a workaround.

===== EDIT =====
Be careful with this. Keep backups of everything.

My first time using this dialog just now I didn't get the result I expected. But the setting I had an issue with was unrelated to this.

In fact it DID export (a flat list of) just the filtered items and their attributes and not the completed items (correctly.... that's the way I had it set). So a quick test showed this appears to work.

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Mon May 10, 2021 2:47 am

Hi didi/Djo
Today I wanted to copy just those tasks that are then shown into a new separate list.
Short answer: I encourage you to follow Ryan's advice and use the 'Tools > Export Tasklist' option since this creates a new tasklist which is exactly what you are wanting.

Long Answer: I decided very early on that filters would be just another form of 'view' and that operations like copying and pasting or moving tasks would operate on the 'entire' task because it would be easier to explain/understand the behaviour for less technically minded users.

didi

Post by didi » Mon May 10, 2021 10:27 am

Thanks so much Ryan!
I'll give that a shot!

didi

Post by didi » Tue May 11, 2021 8:27 am

Sorry guys for coming back on this subject. The export tool does the trick, that's great, thanks. But I can't see a way to automize this. I mean, there is a UDT cmdlet (33100) that I can use, but that will just open the dialog, and I still have to do it myself. Neither can I save particular templates of exportation, which in my particular case wouldn't be necessary (yet anyway), because I'm only exporting this one, and the settings remain almost the same, except for the filename to export to, which is alwasys reset to the current file, which would overwrite my list, which isn't really handy...
Am I missing something else here, or might this be a nice feature to have? That you could have a (chosable) export-preset that would run automatically?
After a quick search I found that somebody else seems to have requested that before (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=277&p=1103&hilit=tool+export#p1103) at least he uses the same name, template, and seems to mean the same thing (that you can save the export settings and then be able to chose from a list, kind of like with the find dialogue where you can make a list of filtering rules and save that). But abstr answered that he couldn't see how to implement this, unfortunately... which surprises me, seen that - as I just said - it kind of already exists in the filtering dialogue. Or were you referring to have the different templates run automatically upon saving?
Those are my two questions then:
1) is there a way to trigger a "silent", automatic, independent export of the current view, with at least whatever settings were last used (or ideally at least the possibility to set a file name...?)
if not, would it be doable as a feature?
2) exportation templates: as described, doable feature?

I hope I haven't been confusing in my descriptions... just ask if something's not clear.

To be honest though, in my personal case, this isn't of great importance, so the "feature requests" are not an absolyte necessity. I'm saying it because I know you've got much to do, and especially now as you're still recovering. But I'm putting this here as well, in case somebody else might be interested in this or find it necesseray for them, so they could voice it.
What would be very much appreciated though I find is if the exportation dialogue wouldn't put the current tasklist file as to be exported to, that is kind of dangerous, don't you think?

Thanks in advance.

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:14 am

Sorry if I've missed something from the thread didi, but can you explain the need for this to be automated?

I ask because your original post (as far as I can tell) is completely satisfied by the Export tool...