[Week Planner] Go to Today button not going to today

Moderator: abstr

Ryan

[Week Planner] Go to Today button not going to today

Post by Ryan » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:11 pm

v8.0.20.0

The Go to Today button is not going to the current day. I attached a file that it doesn't work for me with.

When I click the button it goes to December 2020 (which in this case happens to be the week that contains the task's Start Date).

Week Planner Bugs.zip
(8.3 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Last edited by Ryan on Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

abstr
Site Admin

Re: [Week Planner] Go to Today button not going to today

Post by abstr » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:47 am

Thx for attaching the data Ryan.

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Mon May 10, 2021 8:31 am

Hi Ryan

Unfortunately I'm unable to reproduce the problem with the provided data.

Could you possibly record a bug report (Help > Record Bug Report) so I can be sure I'm seeing exactly what you are seeing?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon May 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Hi Dan! Sincerely delighted to see you here! I'll leave it at that.

I've attached the bug report. Note that the starting week is the week of June 30, 2021.

When I click the Go to Today button, it goes to the week of December 27, 2020 instead of the week containing today (which is currently May 10, 2021 locally).

The week of December 27, 2020 happens to be the starting week of the only task in the tasklist. So, unless it is cosmic coincidence, I am guessing this is some kind of clue about what is happening.

Thank you!

===EDIT===
Dan I apologize. I tried several different proxies but could not attach a file. The one I used that worked previously didn't seem to work this time.

But this link should be permanent.

http://www.filedropper.com/weekplannergototodaybug

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Fri May 14, 2021 7:33 am

Unfortunately, having downloaded the zip, Windows is reporting it as invalid.

Could you try emailing it to me at todolist.forums@abstractspoon.com please?

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat May 15, 2021 1:35 am

Sent

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Wed May 19, 2021 8:16 am

Thx for that Ryan, though unfortunately I'm still no closer to reproducing either of your reported bugs in the 'Week Planner'.

Which makes me wonder if somehow your TDL installation is 'broken'.

Can you try this new experiment please:

1. Download 8.0.20 to an entirely clean location
2. Run it, accepting all the defaults, such that only 'Introduction.tdl' is open
3. Modify the first task so that it has the same dates and times as the task in your bug tasklists
4. Delete all other tasks
5. Switch to 'Week Planner'
6. Modify the 'Week Planner' preferences so that they match your bug reports
7. Tell me the outcome

Thx for your patience!

ps. The problem with the zip file was entirely mine because I had installed a registry hack which unintentionally broke Windows' support for zip files. Apologies.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Thu May 27, 2021 2:16 pm

Thank you Dan. No problem at all about the zip. Really glad to see you back in the saddle!

I've been busier than a one legged man in a Texas butt kicking contest recently. Will do this and post about other things on my bugs/suggestions/question lists when I finally get a break in the action.

I'm pretty sure I will get the same result on this one though as I usually test these things with a fresh default install and data file, but hopefully I can offer some additional info using the method you specified. For me this is a low priority as I don't currently use the Week Planner. But hoping to help with it anyway!

Keep up the fantastic work! 👍🏼

abstr
Site Admin

Post by abstr » Fri May 28, 2021 1:24 am

Thanks for the update Ryan, I appreciate knowing where you are at. Take your time.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:06 pm

Sorry for the delay Dan. Crazy busy here for the next couple of months... including some health issues here as well. May not be able to be around as much as I would like, but I will be back (FWIW!).

I followed the steps you posted using v8.0.20.0.

The bug was still there.

However, some more investigating turned up a clue.

The current date I did this is 6/12/21.

If I set the Due Date to 6/1/21, the Go to Today button worked correctly.

If I set the Due Date to 6/15/21, the bug occurs (the date moves to the starting week instead of the current week) when I clicked the Go to Today button.

(Note: Start Date was set to 12/1/2020 during the two Due Date changes above)

Everything else was a fully default fresh install and no Task attributes were changed except that I added the Start Date (and its column), changed the Due Date and deleted all of the other tasks as in the steps you posted.

Setting the Due Date to some dates, both before or after the current date causes the bug to happen. I didn't immediately notice any pattern, but clearly the Due Date has some effect on the bug. Could be that the Due Date relative to the date you tried to reproduce the bug was different so your date combination didn't trigger the bug. If you play with the Due Date... advancing or moving back by a few days or months then trying the button, maybe it might reproduce the bug. Hope this helps!

I love the Week Planner, but currently don't use it because I need some of the settings options that the Calendar has but the Week Planner currently does not. So I am not as familiar with the Week Planner. But I think my results here are accurate.

Have a bunch of things I want to post, but will have to wait until I am able. Meantime I am insanely in love with TDL and use it daily! 😍 Thank you and hope you are doing well!